Visual programming for Automated Trading Systems?

The EquaMetrics company has announced a new product called RIZM which is a “visual programming” platform for trading systems (or algos, as they are known). This looks really cool, but I am skeptical. The idea is that you can “visually design complex trading strategies without a single line of code” according to the product literature.

We know how complex trading algorithms can be, and that a huge amount of testing and parameter tuning is required to make a system backtest well enough to trade with in a live account.  Can that be done without code?

When Microsoft first released Visual Basic, there was a big concern among programmers that they (we) were becoming obsolete.  I mean, if anyone could create a program by moving blocks around on the screen, who needs programmers?  It turned out that the best Visual programmers were exactly that — programmers.  The developers who already understood program structure, logical organized thinking, how to connect program modules together, and how to properly test software.  Many things you couldn’t do with just visual blocks on the screen; you had to get behind the blocks and get into the code.

I suspect the same might be true about RIZM. It might be a way to get into algo programming, but the best visual algo programmers will be the algo programmers who already understand coding for trading systems, and the same programmers would probably just prefer to write code.

We’ll see.  I may sign up for an account to get a first-hand view of the platform.

Did you enjoy this article?
"Get my free programmer's checklist"
The checklist gives you step-by-step instructions on how to create the perfect automated trading system.

Comments

1. Radoslav says

This seems to be a trendy stuff seeing Dukascopy’s Visual JForex and FXpro’s Quant – a visual EA Strategy Builder for MT4

• John Verbrugge says

Yes, things seem to be trending in the visual programming direction; I’m still on the fence with these sorts of tools. I’m hoping to try a couple of them out, and see if they work for me. Let me know if you get a chance to try one of these tools out.

John

2. Jaymie Pinet says

Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your weblog? My website is in the very same area of interest as yours and my visitors would certainly benefit from a lot of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this alright with you. Thanks a lot!

3. says

I couldn’t disagree with you more. Working visually allows you to test ideas and concepts in less than 1/10 the time it takes to hard code. Certain complex session statistics and maths you can’t do, but you can go very, very deep visually. I’ve been working with http://www.sharkindicators.com ‘s BloodHound which is a visual programming strategy development tool that works with NinjaTrader, and I have created some very complex algos with it. The main limitations so far have been to do only with different order entry and exit types, but a new update in the next week or two is going to make all of this possible. You’d be amazed at just what all is possible with visual programming…

Best,

Daniel

• says

Hi Daniel,

Hey, thanks for the feedback on this. I’ll take a look at the BloodHound program.

I’m really glad to know there are good visual programming tools out there and that they actually work.

Thanks again, and keep reading!

John

• BIll says

So Daniel, do you mean that my grandma can now become a quaint trader? I agree with John that one must know what he is doing. Maybe a reduction in development time but this is not an issue and as a matter of fact it can become an issue because one would have to validate the code. But visual coding is useless for the retail crowed they are trying to sell it too. It’s like giving a hammer to a monkey and let him inside a glass house loose.